Sunday 16 June 2013

The Internship subtitle should be Google is God!

The Internship Movie Review  


I was looking forward to this movie for  two reasons I love the  mellow laid back Owen  Wilson paired with the  high energy fast talking Vince Vaughn. I also  have  dreamed about  visiting the  Google  campus  in California  and this movie reinforced my belief it would be one of the greatest employers in the world. All food free in the cafeteria and  nap pods to take a catnap.


I was worried that all the funniest parts of the movie would be in the trailer as has happened with so many comedies in the past .  I shouldn’t have  worried . A  Quidditch game, brooms and all, has to be seen to be believed, and  the Harry Potter terminology   the teams  use to describe the rules of the game has Owen  exasperatedly  say  You are making me feel like I am back in math class again! What does this have to do with computers?


The guys are matched up with 4 22 year olds who are already world weary and cynical.  They have good reason to be as the job market  is not easy to break into , university or not, not like it was in the 80s .  They are not impressed with  having 2 newbies  who can barely use a webcam  and have never even heard of Instagram   until  the guys people skills and positive attitude actually help them start winning challenges , much to the chagrin of nasty British  intern ( Max Minghella) who was last seen in the Social Network.  I love the  80s film analogies sprinkled throughout the movie. I identify with them much more than Harry Potter or X-Men.



There  is a delightful romance between the gorgeous Rose Byrne ( Damages )  and Owen . It is not the typical meet cute situation and no silly misunderstandings occur.  Although its not completely realistic that  Google would hire  40 year olds without thoroughly checking their education and  computer literacy, the romance and all the friendships that develop through the movie  ring true.


John Goodman has a small role as the guys former boss , and is much funnier than he was in The Hangover 3 .  In short, this movie  was a coming of age movie both for the  20 year old interns and Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson who finally realized what they wanted to be when they grew up!
This movie is great for all ages  the audience I saw it was  mostly  over 50 and they laughed at all the computer  jokes and there is no bad language so its great to bring kids to as well.


I give this movie 5/5  any movie that makes me laugh so hard I have to take my glasses off and wipe the tears away deserves  this rating.  


Here is a  Google Plus hangout I watched live in February with Conan O’Brien as host 











No comments:

Post a Comment