Tuesday 19 February 2013

Oscar Predictions

I don't know about you but I am not a huge fan of award shows in general.  I lost patience with the Emmy's 5  years ago it seems to be always the same 5 shows that win everything and there are no surprises. The Grammys and other music awards show irritate me as I don't like very much of the what the kids are listening to nowadays ! You can keep  your Bieber and Nicki Minaj   bring back  Def Leppard and Duran Duran. Adele and Pink  are fantastic though.

There are only  two awards show I look forward to with anticipation. I am a hardcore movie buff since the age of  5. Classic movies are the only interest my Dad and I have in common  and he got me hooked on black and white movies young. I love all movies except horror movies or war movies as  I don't enjoy nightmares. I love the Golden Globes  because the stars are allowed to drink and so they are much more unpredictable in their speeches. I do find what wins Best Picture wins an Oscar as well. I like the unconventional choices there .The hosts are usually a little more uncensored and free like Ricky Gervais.

The big one is obviously the Oscars. Although they aren't as unpredictable as they used to be and the hosts are hit and miss every year  ( except Billy Crystal and Hugh Jackman)  they are still MY Super Bowl  the only show over 3 hours I will ever sit through. I love the glitz and the glamour and even the terrible song performances. The tribute to deceased performers always makes me tear up .

I like the new format where there can be up to  ten  pictures nominated with 5 I had usually only seen 1 of them this way I usually have seen 5 or 6 of them and there are more mainstream options. Which way  do you prefer?  I only wish they would nominate more comedies.  I am still happy that Marisa Tomei won for My Cousin Vinny but that was a freak occurrence that I would like to see again

What is your pick for Best Picture?  I know Lincoln will probably win  but I much prefer Silver Linings Playbook . It is a great book  by Matthew Quick and has 3 of my favorite actors who all got nominations as well  They are Bradley Cooper, Robert DeNiro and  Jennifer Lawrence

Entertainment Weekly says  that Argo will win  Best Picture and that is my second choice so I would be happy with that . Lincoln is too much like a history lesson to  me. I want more fun movies to win awards.
Let me know in the comments what you want to win and any other thoughts on the  upcoming Oscars

7 comments:

  1. Not seen Lincoln or the Playbook thing, but totally agree with every word of the first 3 paragraphs :-)

    Real music, real movies and toss out the manufactured plastic trash that is the wrong generation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tim wechy thank you so much for responding on the blog! You are my first hit ! I will add you to my blog notification circle! Dont bother with Lincoln until its on TV but definitely see Argo and Silver Linings Playbook

      Delete
  2. First Steph let me Congratulate u on this Awesome Rants and Reviews Blog.,,,,Although it doesnt deserve to win in my opinion, I think that Lincoln will most likely win. Zero Dark Thirty deserves it but without a director nomination it wont win (same with Argo). I would also be happy if Silver Linings Playbook or Beasts of the Southern Wild won but I dont see those movies beating out Lincoln. The fact that it's Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day-Lewis and that it is a historical drama make it the front runner for best picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff! thanks! and thanks for being the second reply! Spoken like a true movie buff! it is hard to beat Spielberg but remember what happened with Saving Private Ryan it was beat out by independent drama Shakespeare in Love which was my pick that year as well! I have Beasts of Southern Wild but haven't watched it yet! Fingers Crossed!

      Delete
    2. You did very well, Stephanie. I agree with everything. I never could get into Duran Duran. They didn't seem very creative or innovative to me but that's just my opinion. Everything else was spot on.

      Delete
    3. thanks Rich that means a lot yes music and movie taste is very subjective ! Once a week I will be doing a video review or a rant and will post it here exclusively! I may try it tomorrow

      Delete
    4. I'll be looking for that, Steph. Great job!

      Delete